A plate of smashed potatoes with pumpkin seed oil, goat cheese and caraway seeds is a crowd pleaser.
Potatoes aren’t usually thought of as nutritious, however like with everything else in cooking, prepared mindful and the right way they are delicious, satisfying, and good for you. Roasting, boiling, and baking are healthier options and can make delicious appetizers, side dishes and mouth watering snacks.
Benefits of potatoes:
I love smashed Potatoes to me they are addictive. To get the most out of potatoes, I leave the skins on and for the looks I like to choose colorful types such as tri color potatoes. Again prepared mindful and the right way potatoes are delicious. French fries, Potato chips, tater tots, and hash browns are also usually deep-fried in oil. So if possible, stay way from deep fat frying.
Did you know that potatoes provide the carbohydrate, potassium and energy you need to perform at your best? Potatoes are more energy-packed than any other popular vegetable and have even more potassium than a banana. Follow the link Potatoes USA to learn all about potatoes, exiting recipes, nutritions and inspirations.
Potatoes as comfort food:
Potatoes are often thought of as a comfort food — richly mashed with butter and sour cream or crisply fried in vegetable oil.
However, as I mentioned already, smothering your potatoes in sour cream, or deep frying in oil and topping with bacon isn’t the healthiest way to enjoy them. There are so many other potato preparations that are delicious, satisfying, and good for you. The “bad reputation” is mainly due to the additional calories potatoes assume after being fried or topped with all kind of fattening toppings. I would say re-think they way you have been consuming potatoes all along, prepare them mindful and enjoy them. As they say, everything in moderation and if you do so, that there is no reason to stay way from potatoes
The perfect combination:
They are a twist on the old tiered baked potatoes and let me tell they are AWESOME, the prefect combination of crisp, flavor and simplicity. Incredibly fluffy on the inside, incredible crisp on the outside – the perfect side dish to any meal. The pumpkin seed oil and the caraway seeds add another amazing layer of flavor to the dish. Plus, pumpkin seed oil it has been associated with a long list of benefits and can be a great addition to a healthy, well-rounded diet
Smashed potatoes with Pumpkin Seed Oil, Goat Cheese and Caraway Seeds
- 1 Lb potatoes Tri color, small
- 1 oz pumpkin seed oil
- 1/2 oz oilve oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper cracked
- 3 oz goat cheese
- 6 leaves fresh basil julienne
Boil the potatoes
- Bring potatoes to a boil in a large pot of water seasoned with sea salt. Cook until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly, about 10 minutes.1 Lb potatoes
- Pre heat oven to 425 degrees Drizzle baking sheet with olive oil. Lightly crush each potato with the back of a knife until potatoes are about ½ inch thick. Arrange potatoes on baking sheet and brush potatoes generously with the pumpkin seed oil. Season with Sea salt and cracked black pepper and sprinkle with 1/2 of the caraway seeds. Roast, until golden and crisp, about 25 minutes.1 oz pumpkin seed oil, 1/2 oz oilve oil, 1 tbsp caraway seeds, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Garnish each potato with goat cheese and place in in oven for a few minutes until goat cheese is warm, finish with julienne of fresh basil and sprinkle with the remaining caraway seeds.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate