Lemon Cranberry Bundt Cake & Yogurt Cream: There is something special about mini bundt cakes. I’m not sure what it is, maybe it is the fact that you can eat more than one. Is it because it only takes 2 or 3 bites to consume one of these little devils, or that they are so “French” looking and are so simple to bake? Either way, you have to agree, that someone cannot ignore the fact that mini bundt cakes just look awesome and sophisticated.
Changing one or two ingredients in a recipe can enhance nutrition and create food that is alive with flavor.
This bundt cake recipe involves the use of garbanzo beans, apple sauce and fat fee buttermilk.
Applesauce and fat-free buttermilk is a great way to decrease the amount of fat in a recipe while maintaining moisture. Garbanzo beans not only add protein but also fiber that is proven to lower cholesterol. Cranberries are high in antioxidants and the yogurt cream adds the additional benefits of probiotics. The best part is that if you don’t tell your guests that the cake is made with garbanzo beans, they’ll never know! I love surprising people with the nutritional value of their melas. It’s always fun to watch their faces light up when they realize they’ve just enjoyed a healthy treat.”
Garbanzo Bean 101:
Garbanzo beans not only add protein but also add fiber that is proven to lower cholesterol.
The American Heart Association, the American Diabetes Association, and the American Cancer Society are recommending eating beans as part of a heart-healthy diet, as they may help decrease your chances of heart disease. Garbanzo beans sometimes called chickpeas are a staple of the Mediterranean diet and a great source of protein. For this reason, dried or canned garbanzo beans are one legume you will always find in my pantry. From a nutritional standpoint, both dried or canned garbanzo beans contain a moderate amount of calories and are high in fiber and protein. All properties that play a role in weight management. They are incredibly easy to incorporate into your diet and can be used in soups, salads, baking, snacks, etc.
What are Pulses:
Garbanzo beans, also known as chickpeas, are a type of pulse. Pulses are the dry, edible seeds of legumes, and they include a variety of other beans, lentils, and peas. Pulses are a good source of protein, fiber, and vitamins, and they are relatively low in fat and calories. They are also a good source of amino acids, which are essential for building and repairing tissues. Here is a great link to the Pulses, as well as a visual guide and how to get involved, resources, recipes, etc. Pulses are good for people with gluten intolerance and vegans, who can’t get protein from meat, fish, or dairy products. In the U.S., chickpeas, beans, peas, and lentils are probably the most popular and familiar to home cooks.
Here are some examples of pulses:
- Lentils: Lentils are a type of pulse that is a good source of protein, fiber, and other nutrients. Lentils can be used in a variety of dishes, such as soups, stews, salads, and casseroles.
- Dry peas: Dry peas are a type of pulse that is a good source of protein, fiber, and other nutrients. Dry peas can be used in a variety of dishes, such as soups, stews, and salads.
- Dry beans: Dry beans are a type of pulse that is a good source of protein, fiber, and other nutrients. Dry beans can be used in a variety of dishes, such as soups, stews, salads, and casseroles.
Lemon Cranberry Bundt Cake, Yogurt Cream
Make honeyed cranberries
- Using a lemon zester remove the peel of one orange. In a saucepan combine orange zest, honey, sugar, and water, stir and bring to a short simmer Cool for 20 minutes, Transfer to a small bowl, and add 2 cups of fresh cranberries. Refrigerate, covered for 8 hours. Remove cranberries from the syrup place them on a sheet pan and let sit until completely dry.4 oz honey, 1 lb cranberries, 4 oz Sugar, 1 medium orange, 4 tbsp water
Make Lemon syrup
- In a small saucepan combine sugar, lemon juice, lemon extract, and water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes. Let the syrup cool.4 oz sugar, 4 oz fresh lemon juice, 2 tbsp water, 1 tsp lemon, 1 tbsp sugar
Make yogurt cream
- In a large bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks are just about to form. Beat in vanilla and sugar until peaks form. Make sure not to overbeat, cream will then become lumpy and butter-like. Add Greek yogurt and whip additional 3 minutes. Set aside1 tbsp sugar, 8 oz heavy cream, 8 oz Yogurt, 1 tsp vanilla extract
Make lemon bund cake
- Rinse Garbanzo Beans in cold water. Place beans, buttermilk, vanilla, canola oil, and applesauce in a Vitamix blender and mix at medium speed until smooth. Separate egg yolks and whites. Set egg whites aside. Pour bean puree into a mixer with the paddle attachment. Add the egg yolks, granulated sugar, lemon zest, flour, lemon extract, and baking powder, and blend evenly at medium speed.11 oz garbanzo beans, 4 fl oz buttermilk, 2 oz canola oil, 4 oz apple sauce, 5 medium eggs, 2 medium lemon zest, 2 tbsp lemon extract, 13 oz sugar, 12 oz all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- In a separate mixer, with a wire whip, add egg whites and beat slowly until foamy. Then increase speed and beat whites to stiff peak. Gently fold egg whites and dried cranberries into the batter. Preheat oven to 320°F.5 oz cranberries
Portion bundt cakes
- Spray mini bundt cake pans with non-stick cooking spray. Portion batter evenly into pans, you want to fill bundt cake molds no more than ¾.
Bake bundt cakes
- Bake in a preheated convection oven for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in bundt cakes comes out clean. Invert the bundt cakes onto a wire rack over a baking sheet. Bundt cakes will rise during baking, so with a serrated knife remove the top part
Brush bundt cakes with lemon syrup
- Using a wooden skewer, poke holes evenly all over the bund cakes and brush with the lemon syrup. Brushing the bundt cakes with Lemon syrup adds that extra lemon kick and keeps the bundt cakes moist.
Garnish bundt cakes and serve
- Dust the bundt cakes with Icing sugar, garnish with yogurt cream, honeyed cranberries, and fresh lemon zest
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate