My Catalan Tomato Bread is using a fresh scratch-baked Dutch oven farmer’s bread, however, a great store-purchased farmer’s bread will work just fine. Once considered a poor man’s meal, the Catalan Tomato Bread is a winner in regards to flavor and simplicity.
The first time pan con tomate was mentioned was in 1884, in the context of a Catlin farmer’s house where tomatoes were spread on days-old bread with olive oil and garlic to make it soft again so you could eat it.
Today, many people toast the bread, take a ripe tomato cut it in half, mash it, and squeeze the tomato over the bread. I take my tomato and grate it with a box grater to get all the great juices and then spread it over toasted or grilled bread to soften the bread.
The Catalan Tomato Bread is drizzled with some extra virgin olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt and voilà! we have the perfect lunch or snack.
I like to top my tomato bread with a slice of Burrata or even canned tuna or serve it with a green salad.
To make a great pan con tomate, select your ingredients very carefully: ripe tomatoes, a great farmers’ bread, the best olive oil you can purchase, sea salt, and garlic. During this time of the year, you will find awesome tomatoes at your local farmers’ market, so take advantage of the season and the availability of great tomatoes.
Catalan Tomato Bread with Burrata
- 8 slices Farmer's bread home - baked or store purchased
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt, fine ground
- Slice farmer's bread, lightly toast, or even better grill until bread is slightly charred.8 slices Farmer's bread
- Peel a clove of garlic and rub across the surface of grilled bread (best to do while still warm).2 cloves garlic
- Cut a tomato in half and rub the cut surface over a box grater into a bowl keeping the palm of your hand completely flat. This extracts and chops the tomato pulp, completely separating it from the skin.2 large tomatoes
- Scoop the juice, meat, and seeds onto bread, drizzle olive oil over the top, sprinkle with sea salt, and serve.1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, 1 tsp sea salt, fine ground
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate