Tres Leches bundt cake, just in time for Cinco de Mayo. A day of celebrating, eating tacos, drinking margaritas and having wonderful desserts.
The Tres Leches bundt cake recipe, baked with chickpeas, is another great example of stealth health all in a small package. The alternative to this Bundt cake recipe involves the use of garbanzo beans, apple sauce, and fat-free buttermilk. You would never know these little goodies are made with chickpeas. A typical Tres Leches cake is a light, airy sponge cake soaked with a mixture of three kinds of milk: evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and cream.
This recipe is using my chickpea Bundt cake base that can easily be adjusted and tweaked into something different. Just in case you are looking for chickpea inspired Bundt cakes, take a peak and try my O’Leary’s Bundt Cake or the Lemon Cranberry Bundt Cake with Yogurt Cream.
For a snack, drain and rinse well a can of chickpeas, blot with a paper towel until completely dry. Drizzle with a few tablespoons of olive oil and toss to coat. Place chickpeas on a cookie sheet and pop them in a 400-degree oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown and crunchy. Season with sea salt or your favorite seasoning. One more fact, in case you didn’t know, there is no difference between chickpeas and garbanzo beans. Garbanzo happens to be the Spanish term while chickpea is the common English term.
You cannot ignore the fact that mini bundt cakes just look awesome and sophisticated. If you fancy something a bit more nutritious give this Tres Leches Bundt cake a try. Regardless of what you call them chickpeas or garbanzo beans, you can be sure they’re packed with nutrients, flavor, and lots of potentials. One cup of chickpeas has 269 calories, 45g of carbohydrate, 15g of protein, 13g of dietary fiber, 4g of fat and 0g of cholesterol. They are high in fiber, potassium, vitamin C and vitamin B-6 content which all support heart health. Chickpeas contain significant amounts of fiber, which helps lower the total amount of cholesterol in the blood, thereby decreasing the risk of heart disease.
Tres Leches Bundt Cake, Baked with Chickpeas
Great Bundt cake, moist, fluffy and sweet. A crowd pleaser for any occasion.
As easy as it gets. Simple to bake and a solid base recipe to explore additional ingredients and flavors.
For a Bundt cake that uses garbanzo beans, apple sauce and fat-free buttermilk,
you would never know these little goodies are made with chickpeas.
Tres Leches Bundt Cake
- 11 ounce garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed canned
- 2 ounce sugar granulated
- 1/2 cup buttermilk fat free
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup apple sauce unsweetened
- 5 each eggs
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 11 ounce sugar granulated
- 12 ounce all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp zest of one lemon
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup condensed milk sweetned
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 11 tbsp caramel Sauce
- 11 sprigs mint leaves fresh
- 2 cup seasonal berries
Whip the egg whites
- Separate the eggs. Whip the egg whites with 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar. Beat at medium speed until foamy. Increase speed and whip to a stiff peak. Set aside. Keep the egg yolks for step 4.2 ounce sugar, 5 each eggs
Puree the garbanzo beans
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Place garbanzo beans, buttermilk, canola oil, apple sauce, egg yolks and vanilla extract in a blender and blend until smooth. In a mixer, using the paddle attachment, add the flour, granulated sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, and the garbanzo puree. Blend evenly at medium speed until smooth. Using a spatula gently fold in the whipped egg white into the prepared batter.11 ounce garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed, 1/2 cup buttermilk, 1/4 cup canola oil, 1/2 cup apple sauce, 2 tbsp vanilla extract, 11 ounce sugar, 12 ounce all purpose flour, 1/2 tsp zest of one lemon, 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
Bake the bundt cakes
- Spray Bundt cake pans with nonstick spray. Using a scoop portion 3 ounces of batter into bundt pans. Bake at 325 F convection for 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Invert the Bundt cakes onto a wire rack over a baking sheet. The Bundt cakes will rise during the baking so you will need to cut off the bottoms with a serrated knife.
Drizzle with condensed milk and half half
- Blend evaporated and condensed sweetened milk with the half and half. Slowly drizzle about 3 tablespoons of the 3-milk mixture over the bottom surface of each Bundt cake. As you pour, the mixture will begin to seep into the cake. Try your best to evenly distribute the liquid over the surface of each cake. Now, allow the cake to sit for 20 to 30 minutes.1 cup evaporated milk, 1/2 cup half and half, 1 cup condensed milk
Plate and garnish
- Dust with powdered sugar and drizzle with caramel sauce. Plate and garnish with fresh berries and mint sprig.11 tbsp caramel Sauce, 11 sprigs mint leaves fresh, 2 cup seasonal berries, 1/4 cup powdered sugar
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate