Last week was the first day the Chicago Andersonville Farmers Market opened and I found great looking farm fresh eggs. It seems that I never struggle to use eggs in my kitchen. I always seem to run out of eggs, using them for mayonnaise, quiche, etc., or for my Perfect Soft Boiled Egg. California avocado chimichurri egg salad toast is a favorite of mine, it is easy to make.
Peel and dice avocado, mix with a little plain yogurt, add chopped hard boiled eggs and kick it up a notch with a tablespoon or two of Argentine Chimichurri.
An interesting fact about Eggs:
Leghorn chickens lay white eggs while Orpington’s lay brown eggs and Ameraucana produce blue eggs. I didn’t know this until I did some research. One more interesting fact, look at the chicken’s ear lob, typically those with white ear lobes produce white eggs.
Lean and green:
I love eggs, I love California Avocado I love Chimichurri. By mixing all of these ingredients into a California avocado chimichurri egg salad and placing the salad on a piece of crispy toasted farmers’ bread – is heaven! Egg salad can usually be very heavy and making one without mayo sounds perfect. Use avocados, instead of mayonnaise. Why didn’t I think of this earlier? If you are looking for fewer calories, while having a great tasting lunch or snack, this is the perfect recipe.
Using hard boiled farm fresh eggs and only half of the egg yolks, yogurt, and the healthy fat of the avocados, which is known to lower your cholesterol, creates a simple healthier option for a quick lunch or afternoon snack. The Chimichurri with garlic, fresh oregano, parsley, and cilantro brings out the depth of the salad and creates a very balanced quick meal. Add grilled vegetables or crisp green salad and you are ready to go.
One thing to note about Chimichurri, the sauce will develop a full awesome flavor after a day or two in the refrigerator. The bold flavor of the oregano and garlic really shine after letting it sit for some time. You can add more Chimichurri to the egg salad if you like, or drizzle some over the sandwich or serve on the side.
California Avocado Chimichurri Egg Salad Toast
- 8 each hard boiled eggs
- 1 each avocado ripe
- 1 tbsp yogurt plain low fat
- 1 pinch white pepper ground
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 tbsp Chimichurri
- 4 slices farmer's bread
Chop the eggs
- Chop 4 hard-boiled eggs, remove egg yolk from the other 4 hard-boiled eggs, chop the egg white, and set aside. Wash avocado and slice avocado vertically in half, remove the pit. Remove avocado from shell and cut into medium dice.8 each hard boiled eggs, 1 each avocado
Make the egg salad
- Combine the chopped eggs and chopped egg whites, avocado, yogurt, salt, and pepper. Mix together with a fork. Add 1 tablespoon of Chimichurri and fold into salad Mash together with a fork. Add 1 tablespoon of Chimichurri and fold into egg salad.1 tbsp yogurt plain, 1 pinch white pepper ground, 1 pinch sea salt, 1 tbsp Chimichurri
Toast the farmer's bread
- Toast the farmers bread, top with egg salad, and enjoy4 slices farmer's bread
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate