The North has Coffee houses the South has Waffle houses and they serve Sausage gravy and I loooooove a good sausage gravy. In the South, biscuit and gravy is a great way to start the day and a quick fix for breakfast. Homemade sausage gravy is soul-satisfying and screams comfort food, and a traditional gravy has flour and milk. The skinny sausage gravy recipe is cooked with rice and chicken stock and seasoned with a little cracked black pepper, you will never know the difference.
Skinny Sausage Gravy
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, until soft but not browned1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1 cup onion, diced
- Add the rice and cook, stirring for 2 minutes2/3 cup long grain rice
- Add the stock and bring it to a boil. Cover and simmer until rice is very soft and the liquid is greatly reduced, about 25 minutes, cool slightly6 cups Chicken stock
- Transfer to a Vitamix blender and puree until smooth. The sauce should be similar to a pourable sauce, add more stock as needed, and season with salt and cracked black pepper
- Sauté breakfast sausage in a sauté pan over medium heat until cooked, break with a spoon into smaller crumbles while cooking. Drain sausage, add no cream sauce, stir, bring to a short boil, add salt and cracked black pepper, reduce heat and keep for service1 lb breakfast sausage, 1 pinch salt, 1 pinch black pepper, ground
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate